Local businesses, we need your expertise!
At King Edward VI Balaam Wood we are working hard to develop our pupils to be your employers of the future. We need your help to raise their career aspirations, develop their employability skills and learn more about the exciting industries in Birmingham.
Inspiring young minds
Being part of our business support network will provide you moments of great satisfaction but striving to make a difference can also be an exciting challenge. Having employers like you helping to inspire our pupils and transform their attitudes through a range of activities and opportunities is the foundation of an excellent careers programme as set out by the Gatsby Foundations Benchmarks of good practice and the Careers and Enterprise Company.
Here at King Edward VI Balaam Wood Academy we work alongside a key business volunteer who works with us on a strategic level, encouraging the development of our careers programme and connecting us to the business community across the country. The role is recognised nationally as an Enterprise Advisor (EA) and they are part of the Careers and Enterprise Hub community of support driving the connections and the business sector.
We have two Enterprise Advisors, Holly Keer & Steve Roberts from Bloor Homes who are working alongside us in developing our current programme of activity.
Ways to support:
• Be part of our Mock interviews with Year 10 or 11 pupils and help them structure their CVs
• Get involved in extra-curricular clubs and activities
• Give an inspiring talk based on your industry or job role
• Provide a coaching/mentoring service through a structured programme
• Run a hands-on workshop with activities relating to your area of expertise
• Be part of our discussions about pathways after school, eg apprenticeships
• Help champion specific issues and challenge barriers in the workplace around gender stereotyping, disability etc
• Help bring a subject lesson to life by linking it to your industry
• Offer a work experience placement for students at your business premises
• Become an ambassador supporting employment routes for young people with special educational needs and disabilities and offer a work experience placement that is co-supported by the school
If you would like to get involved, please send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org